Re: Some Questions About ABIWord

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 15:31:06 EDT

    Hello Paul,

    I'll try to give you some answers...

    On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 18:36, Paul Hill wrote:
    > 1) We are very interested in the PDF plugin. Is this something that is
    > being developed or did I just misunderstand.

    You didn't misunderstand. However, maybe we could use the help of your
    company's in the matter... there are some forms of doing it... one, by
    providing patches, another by sponsoring the author, as an incentive, or
    doing good testing, heloing with format support, etc...

    > 2) Based on the conservations between the developers, the GPL would
    > allow us to do distribution of ABIWord from our site. Is this something
    > that causes anyone any problems? We may also burn it on a CD from time
    > to time...

    The last two items (of the 4 that define Free Software -
    http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) are fully supported by the
    most common Free Software license, the GNU GPL. As such, it is your
    right (granted by the authors) to distribute (modified or not) copies of
    AbiWord, and as such, it would not cause us any problems.

    However, it would be in everyone's advantage to maintain a collaborative
    development of AbiWord... you could develop AbiWord with us, and also
    distribute it from your site... how about by providing a mirror?

    > 3) We are interesting in adding a data merge feature. Is this something
    > that is being discussed? Does anyone have a design or a recommendation
    > on how this should be addressed.

    There is already a way to do it. AbiWord (although still not compiled by
    default) supports running perl scripts. Perl could be used to make data
    merging (albeit not the way you're currently thinking, I suppose).

    However, that is not very user friendly and more an usefull tool more
    easily understood by hackers, so there's still room for real data
    merging features as well as much more!

    > This is the top 3 on our list, can anyone address them?

    We hope we can address them... your help addressing them would be most
    welcome, as well.

    > Good job on a great project...

    Thanks...

    You can meet some of the developers on IRC... you just have to connect
    to irc.gnome.org and join channel #abiword to meet one or more.

    Be welcome,

    Rui

    + So let's do it...?