Re: commit - Move Toolbar Strings into .string files

From: Pierre Abbat (phma@webjockey.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 23:46:17 EDT

    On Tuesday 10 September 2002 17:48, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 05:30 PM, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > >> 1) Have translators use tools that they like and are familiar with,
    > >> including all of their benefits
    > >
    > > yeah, maybe
    >
    > This is not a maybe. This is a definite.

    Tugni. I check translation files before committing them, if I can make any
    sense of the language. Reading a, say, Bulgarian po file in KBabel is FAR
    easier than trying to make sense of the mishmash of accented letters in the
    string file (Kwrite is Unicode-ignorant, and I'm not sure how to even get it
    to display Cyrillic).

    This is also why we need strings policemen who are familiar with Austronesian
    or Sino-Tibetan. We have an Indonesian localization and are going to get
    Malay and Marshallese. I don't know Bulgarian, Catalan, or Dutch, but I am
    familiar enough with Russian, French, and English that I can spot some typos
    that the translator missed. I cannot do that with Marshallese.

    phma