Re: Entering Japanese Text

From: David Chart (linux@dchart.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:02:08 EST

    On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 23:10, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > Hi David,
    > The first thing you need to do is to get XIM working.
    > Unfortunately none of the core AbiWord hackers have much experience with
    > this. There was good post by Raphael a few days ago explaining his
    > attempts to get things working. I suspect that it is not too hard but we
    > need explicit help from XIM users.

    OK, here's my progress.

    I've installed all the relevant software. XIM appears to work with other
    applications, completely so with evolution (although evo seems to get
    stuck half in Japanese until I restart) and just missing fonts with
    other apps (I need to install them tonight). It works *mostly* with my
    other gtk2 application, pan (looks like a font problem, which is odd,
    because it can display Japanese), and with Abi STABLE (except that I'm
    missing fonts -- I might not bother trying to fix that). ('Works but no
    fonts' means that I get the little hiragana indicating that kinput2 is
    working, and the kinput2 window appears and converts what I type to
    Japanese, but when I hit return to insert it into the document, I get
    the gibberish you get when a program tries to interpret Japanese as
    western text.)

    It doesn't work *at all* with HEAD, as Raphael reported. Shift-space
    just enters a space.

    I'm using kinput2 with a Canna/FreeWnn backend (that is, absolutely
    standard software), so I don't think there's a problem with Raphael's
    XIM. At least, his problems don't indicate that.

    What do I have to do to supply *useful* information to the hackers?

    Thanks.

    (Incidentally, Abi's Japanese localisation seems to be messed up -- the
    encoding appears to be incorrectly specified. I'll file bugs on this
    this evening.)

    --
    David Chart
    http://www.dchart.demon.co.uk/