Re: translation issue, .po and .strings related questions

From: A.Pruszynski (abiword@wp.pl)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 02:52:08 EST

    Hi,

    KJD> I have recently been helping to track down why some stringsets did not
    KJD> display (that is, when selected the menus etc would show up in English).

    I noticed that structures of *.string files are more or less different
    between languages. Some of them are not optimized at least. The are some
    errors; for instances there are so many 'red' English strings (see
    string table).

    As I understand there are two classes of strings: 'xap' and 'ap'. They
    are defined in English in two files (not string files, sorry I don't
    remember they names), but these classes are mixed in some
    translations; i.e. 'xap' strings are in 'ap' section and 'ap' strings
    in 'xap' section. Is it ok?

    I suggest to create (or better write a script for creating) an English string
    file as an example, both for stable and development branch.

    Translations are commited first off all to HEAD. In most of
    languages strings in a stable branch comes from many months ago, when
    two branches have been establised. There is no strings table (at www) for a
    stable branch, so some translators don't know about it.

    Andrzej