Re: Unix glyph detection urgently needed

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 03:00:31 EDT

    Hi Andrew,

    > Does your patch take into account mapping smart-quotes

    > to dumb quotes and the general microsoft symobls

    > generally missing from many unix fonts?

    > Just checking (:

    Never really thought about that; this is easy to do and I will do it, if you

    let me know which symbols in addtion to the quotes you have in mind.

    Also, the shaping engine can do dumb->smart quote translation which

    is language sensitive. It is not used for anything, as there were

    objections to 'soft' (display-only) translation, but when someone wants

    to implement smart quotes again. its there for the taking.

    Tomas