Re: We have two desktop files

From: Christian Neumair (chris@gnome-de.org)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 13:53:52 EST

    Am Do, den 06.11.2003 schrieb Rui Miguel Seabra um 16:48:
    > On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 15:19, Christian Neumair wrote:
    >
    > > -Name=Word Processor
    > > -Comment=AbiWord Word Processor
    > > +Name=AbiWord Word Processor
    > > +Name[de]=AbiWord Textverarbeitung
    > > Exec=abiword
    > > Icon=abiword_48.png
    > > Terminal=false
    >
    > > > THIS SMALL a difference makes it distro independant??
    > > > I don't have any problem with replacing one by the other, really, but I
    > > > don't get it. What's so special?
    > > The file's content is not the point.
    >
    > The file's content _IS_ the point, since that is what makes it different
    > from others, right?
    >
    > AFADSI (As Far As Diff See's It) it's just cosmetic changes, so that
    > doesn't make the old one any less or more distro specific.
    >
    > > The issue is that we have a different desktop file for the RPM
    > > installation routine than for the other distros which makes this file
    > > distro-specific.
    >
    > No. Some distributions use a different file (not contributed to us
    > AFAICT) or put it in a different place.
    >
    > It's irrelevant to the point if it's contents are the best or if it's
    > placed in the best place. The changes are 100% cosmetic.
    >
    > I can just move the new file to the other (I have nothing against the
    > cosmetic changes), if that's the problem.
    >
    > If _there_is_another_point_ that makes it distribution specific, please
    > tell us what's wrong and how to change it :)
    I just consider this file redundant. Maybe it is not distro-specific as
    per your definition, but it is effectively installed only for RPM
    distros. I see no obvious reason why they should have an own desktop
    file.
    Since we currently have no way of elegantly merging translations with
    this desktop file (cp. intltool), it's not very nice for translators
    either since they have to update both files if they want to add their
    language.

    regs,
     Chris