Re: Valencian version

From: Daniel Glassey (danglassey-abi_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 15:35:20 EST

    On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 18:01, Jordi Mas wrote:
    > En/na Dom Lachowicz ha escrit:
    >
    > > Jaime,
    > >
    > > You've sent your translation to the mailing list.
    > > We'll make a decision to add it (or to not add it)
    > > sometime soon. We'll let you know either way.
    > >
    > > Please don't get your feathers ruffled... Your annoyed
    > > (and annoying) messages aren't helping your cause.
    >

    > My proposal is add support for any language that is a language, that is, what
    > linguistic and science community identifies it as a language.
    >
    > Ethnologue (http://www.ethnologue.com) is an authority in that area of
    > science. It has more than 6000 languages listed and very exhaustive listings
    > per country, but any other reconigned international authority is fine with me.

    Actually, the ethnologue says that Valencian is a dialect of Catalan
    http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=CLN
    "Central Catalan has about 90% to 95% inherent intelligibility to
    speakers of Valencian"

    Or to put it another way from the wiki "Universities and linguists,
    nevertheless, always treat Valencian as a variant of the Catalan
    language or even as merely a different name for the same reality"

    Different dialects are already included by AbiWord (e.g. en-GB vs
    en-US), but afaik only ones that are geopolitically separated have been
    included so far. Is there a way to indicate multiple dialects of a
    language within a country?

    Regards,
    Daniel