Re: RFC: latin ligatures

From: tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 02:03:03 EST

    > Martin wrote:
    > I think they should definitely be enabled in CVS HEAD. My
    > personal opinion is that they should remain disabled for STABLE
    > but Hub's opinion carries the most weight.

    I had only HEAD in mind; if nothing else because the changes are too
    substantial to port.

    > Dom wrote:
    > There were problems other than this - namely, a lot of
    > our users had filed bugs saying that "fl" or "fi"
    > showed up as a "degree sign". I.E. they didn't have a
    > glyph in their fonts for that particular ligature.

    We do not ligate when the ligature glyph is absent, so that should not
    be happening any longer. I do suspect, however, that the Unix version
    of doesGlyphExist() does not work properly, particularly in light of
    #5805 and would appreciate if someone could look into that bug.

    There is one other issue I am not entirely sure about, namely whether
    being able to use the glyph on screen automatically means we can
    print it, particularly when printing via PostScript or gnome print.

    Tomas