RFC: 2.3 feature list

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 11:35:40 CET

I think it is about time we start talking about what we want to see
implemented in the next generation of AbiWord, so that we can (a)
formulate our corporate priorities, (b) agree a provisional timetable
for the development cycle, and (c) decide who will be responsible for
what.

I am happy to take responsibility for collating the feature list from
the discussion; to start it of, this is list of things I would like
to see (in order of personal priorities):

   1. EndOfBlock strux
    In my view this is an absolute must, and should be among the first
    things we do; if nothing else, it will make it possible for the user
    to select blocks in an intuitive and unambigious manner.

   2. Pango graphics on *nix
    We have made good progress with support for complex scripts on Win32;
    need to catch up on *nix.

   3. Enchant on win32
    I would quite like to see this, to be able to make use of any
    system/other spell-checking libs, just as fjf is doing on the Mac,
    but have not investigated the feasibility/real usefulness.

   4. XP framework for Ink support conforming to InkML
      (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-InkML-20040928/)
    Ink support would be very cool, particularly considering the
    TAbiWord project (see sourceforge).

Tomas