layout engine crazy (refuse to use bugzilla)

From: Dennis Heuer <dennis_at_triple-media.com>
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 07:21:04 CEST

Hello,

I installed the latest 2.1.7 which should have fixed about 70 bugs. In my case there only came up several bugs. The layout engine was always crazy but now it seems to put a space after every paragraph. The last line of a justified paragraph looks weird after having re-arranged the paragraph, and only doing something in that line, like deleting this useless space at the end of the line, corrects the layout error.

Cutting some text and placing it into the same line changes the font from bitstream to times. I also could not find any option for setting the default font to bitstream (the system font).

Another interesting case is if I press accidentially on one of the columns buttons. Pressing undo works but all paragraphs of the document have mega spaces between the words. The paragraphs are all wrongly wrapped and must be corrected by hand (pressing space and deleting it afterwards, or similar). I then close the document and re-open it.

It seems that different actions start different layout routines in the code. There should be only one way of producing the layout. Loading the document produces different layout than changing paragraphs or switching between views and modes. This appears mainly for justified text.

A very interesting error appears in the footer. One document has the following line in the footer:

<page> of <number of pages>

The line is centered and looks like:

                3 of 27

After closing and re-opening the document, the line looks like:

27 3 of

Astonishingly, this does not happen when I open the document from dvd-ram. Both dvd-ram and my system are using utf8. However, I think the problem is related to the formatting on the medias being interpreted differently by abiword.

Ahh, last but not least: My system language is german. Abiword recognizes this and tries to find the german dictionary. However, only about five terms in the whole application are in german, the rest is in english.

Abiword is a really weird program. There are so many misbehaviours that I could write my master thesis about it. Shall abiword be what mozilla is for WWW?

Dennis