Re: OASIS OpenDocument Import/Export

From: Daniel d'Andrada Tenório de Carvalho <daniel.carvalho_at_indt.org.br>
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 14:50:44 CEST

Robert Staudinger wrote:
> At the moment the code for importing/exporting sxw and odt files is
> all thogether in the filter. From your mail i read that you are
> interested in odt only. Therefore it would be good if we either test
> all odt-related changes with sxw files also, to make sure there are at
> least no regressions or - cristmas wish - implement the improvements
> for sxw too. Another option would be to fork the importer and merge
> changes back to sxw some time (well, noone will realistically do
> that).

   Unfortunately, you're right.

   We don't have the necessary resources to develop both OpenDocument
Text *and* OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text support.

   Our proposal is for us to continue working on the OpenWriter filter,
developing only .odt support but, doing a good will effort so that we
try not to break .sxw support badly.

   IF it proves to be to hard/cumbersome to develop the (for now
unimplemented) features of OpenDocument Text without breaking
OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text, we can fork the source code later, if necessary.

> We also have the beginnings of an odt "test suite" (well, set of
> documents): http://www.abisource.com/~uwog/abiword/odt-testsuite.tar.gz
>
> What's missing in the importer (exporter in even worse condition)
> + Lists
> + Images with text wrapped around
> + Textboxes
> + Headers/Footers
> + Footnotes/Endnotes
> + Lots of small tweaks

   Nice! I would like to know if there is someone actively working on
this filter, so we can coordinate our efforts with theirs and, thus,
avoid duplicate work. As soon as we have this answer, we will start working.

   Best regards,

   Daniel