Translation problem

From: Renato Pavičić <repavici_at_globalnet.hr>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 02:50:54 CEST

Hi all,

Over a month ago I have translated Abi into Croatian and posted string
file. Due to some ongoing PC problems, I cannot use Linux at full, and I
cannot make convertion of string file into PO (I dont' know how, and
frankly speaking, I don't care how to anymore). I have explained that at
the mailing list and in personal mail to few other users, and all I
receive are instructions. I do not need instructions any more. Anything I
have tryed did not work.

I am desperate here, and at the momment I do not have enough time to
reinstall Linux and risk some further problems. I am just a translator,
not a programmer. I am simple end user, I guess the kind of person Abi was
created for. I dont know what it means "run you script against it". Where
from? How? And no example WITHOUT lines like (put your path here) etc... I
tryed to run convertion in shell on win, and it took me 3 days just to
figure out how to change directory! Because manula says "chdir()", and it
dous not says what to put into (). And it does not state at any logical
place that there should be apostrophes!!! I get error mesages constantly,
and I gave up.

Wherever I look, instruction for translator are NOT! They are more like
"instruction for programers interested in translating".

Sorry, but I am regular human. Most programers know one or two programming
languages. I am professional translator, and I encountered lng files that
need FULL knowledge of about 10 different programming languages!!! It is
too much for me! From C++, perl, python, java, html, php, xliff, ttx,
xml... I wonder if there is ANY person in the world that knows all that.
And don't let me start with mozilla! It is horrible when you work as
translator for 10 years, and there are still people who cannot understand
importance of easy translation in combination with translation database. I
hate that I have to build database for each single application, and never
to be able to import or export that or any database! Imagine if you must
mork on each version of Abi in different enviroment/programming language
and learn from scratch!

This is the reason why I started to localize Opera. It took me 2 minutes
 from import to the translation of the first line! Without any programming
knowledge, additional instalations, setups and without days lost in
studying programmers instructions. And, WITH my old database! And, with
import and export!

I have greatest respect for programmers. They do something that I do not
know how to. But please, if I could have at least the same ammount of
_understanding_ !

If anyone willing to help, please mail me, and I will send him/her the
latest string file. If not, I give up.

People, it took me ONE week to translate Abi! And after total of FIVE
weeks AFTER translation stil no PO file!!!

I checked translation with Abi 2.4.4

--
Best regards,
Renato Pavicic