Re2: Translation problem

From: Renato Pavičić <repavici_at_globalnet.hr>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 14:18:02 CEST

Hi,

Well, Alan offered to do some job for me and I will send string file to
him. Also, I decided to translate english PO. It will be no trouble cos I
can use translation database, and it need cross-checking. I think I could
do it by the end of the next week. I translated string cos that way I
could check up on translation.

Thanks for all replies. Regarding those, I would like to answer/append:

I have serious problems with PC (mb), and cannot afford new parts or risk
reinstallation. At the moment I use Windows 2003 and Trados (for PO files
I use DejaVu - excellent app!).

I don't use Rosetta, cos I have dial-up (explanation on than at the end of
this mail). It is expensive to me, but most importantly it does not
provide concordance search! There is a small group (Croatian) which is
translating Ubuntu via Rosetta, but their progress is slow (about 40%).

I am professional translator for a year now (part time for a few years
more), my wife is also professional translator for several years. You
cannot translate anything larger than a 100 words without organized,
searchable translation database. There is a reason why there are about
dozen CAT (computer aided translation) tool out there, and there is a
reason why they cost over 3000 USD! Cheapest licenses are about 500 USD.
Translation databases (with all terms, full sentences, approved by
customer) are worth above 10.000 USD.

With Rosetta, (and other, similar ways of translation) you do not have
easy ability to check up on concordance. Therefore, translations of large
files, and especially of large project with multiple files, are worth
nothing!

I have also started with localization of Fedora and KDE. Before PC crash I
used KBabel. It is excellent tool, real match to almost any other
stand-alone, non integrable CAT tool. With just one minus - no direct
import/export of database, but with (lengthy) workaround. And, one can
always check up on terminology.

Why do I say so much about translations? Because of programmers - they
(you) do a MAGNIFICENT job! Your work and your response matches those of
"serious", commercial products. If you are willing to put yourself into
this job, it is my obligation (as a translator) to put the very same level
of professional attitude toward my part of project. Without good
translation, local value of product is zero. But, best translators are not
always best programmers, and here is where I (and others like me) need
your help :]

At this point there is nothing additional I could recommend. Due to this
ongoing PC problems, I am not able to test Abi on Linux, so anything on
this subject will wait for some another time.

Maybe only two things:
- ability to commit via CVS, at lest the translations
- screenshots of translated GUI

I think that this two things will greatly improve popularity of Abi. Every
few months it appears on CD/DVDs of Croatian PC magazines, but it looks
that it's popularity is somewhat kept low cos people do not understand
english, and (simultaneously) Abi's advantages and features.

Most people still prefer MS products, cos when they buy PC salespersons
accentuates "It is in Croatian!". For those who do not understand english,
it is same thing if it is Linux or Windows! They want something they can
pronounce without embarrassing themselves in front of their children :)
And, most importantly, they still think that one can write and print a
text file ONLY with MS Office. That is the reason why MS is pushing so
hard on localizations, both of GUI and help files.

This where I (and, again, other like me) want to help:
- to translate GUI
- to translate help
- to translate/maintain online localized help/support

Sorry for lenghty message, but I think good product need good attention :)
If developers of Abi take so much time to make this app better, than I
gotta help the best way I can, and this is the only way I can.

Best regards to all!

=====
  I live in a country (Croatia) where phone companies still do not
understand importance of mass communication, and prices are highest in
europe (comparing to average incomes). Ie, 1 hour of dial up (cheapest,
during night) costs 1/3 of regular McDonald (without fries and coke).
512MB over cheapest and slowest dsl costs 2 McD's, plus 5 McD for dsl
lease AND 5 McD for a phone line (mandatory)! Average income is about 300
McD, mine is just a bit more. Tax (VAT) on pc hardware, software, books,
food, Maybach and BMW is 22%. In Serbia, tax for pc hardware is much
smaller, and internet access is significantly cheaper (about 5 times!).
There are several internet providers, but they all have same prices (if
you look monthly average). They do not compete among themselves.
=====

--
Renato Pavicic
mailto:repavici@globalnet.hr