Re: BeOS build hangs soon after calling make

Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:00:40 -0400

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Matthias Schonder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i can't make abi under the beos (r4/x86) and I'm not alone, at
> www.beoscentral.com there is a msg, that someone has this prob too, please
> help me out. Could it be, that it only compiles under r4.x??? (<-4.1/4.5)
>
> Thank you very much in forward

Mattias,

Hi there, I'm the principal author of the BeOS port. Actually
it was developed on PPC under R3, just migrated to R4 and
it should work out of the box. I heard that our build
file had to be slightly adjusted for x86 by Jeff but it
should just work. What sort of problems are you seeing?

Essentially you need to do this:

cvs checkout -d abi expat zlib libpng
cd abi/src
make

And it should just work. Now from what I hear from the
replies are that there are some strange characters in the
Makefiles. This might have happened if Jeff used a
windows machine to make modifications so the nl are
messed up.

In any case keep in mind that this is a very early
release ... what am I talking about it isn't a release
at all. It is checked into the tree 1) So that the
abi crew can easily migrate changes done in other
platforms into the inital beos code and 2) so that other
people can start work on this.

There are few bells, no whistles but it is neat to
see the app up and running.

Tell all your friends ... tell a whole bunch ...
let's go hack on AbiWord (BeOS) over lunch!

Thomas

Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf