Re: we're goin' to the show...

Drazen Kacar (dave@srce.hr)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:55:26 +0100

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 05:00:12PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:

[...]
> Now that the product is coming along so nicely, it's time to really start
> spreading the news about how cool AbiWord is. This means breaking out the
> secret weapon -- marketing. Stuff like:

[ugh]

> and all sorts of stuff which has nothing to do with compilers. It's ugly
> work that most self-respecting geeks tend to avoid like the plague, but
> somebody's gotta do it. So, to get the ball rolling, Eric and I are going
> to spend most of the next week, sans compilers, in booth #1436 at the show,
> along with some very enthusastic marketing help from our new Open Source
> Evangelist:

How does one become an Open Source Evangelist, I wonder?

Anyway, since you are doing your best, I can help with this:
<HYPE>It works on Solaris, too.

IIRC, there was a post saying that ABiWord doesn't work on Solaris 2.6
with 24 bit depth. My mail archives are on a host which is currently
down because its RAID died, with compliments from the local Electric
company. I could get it from backup, but jukebox on backup host died
a few days ago, with the compliments from our management and I'm not in
the mood for switching tapes manually.

I compiled AbiWord on Solaris 7, with GTK 1.1.16. I don't have 1.2 because
main GTK ftp site seems to have problems too, and local mirror site
doesn't have it yet. The world is coming down on me, hehe.

Anyway, Sun's X server uses DPS extension for displaying Type 1 fonts,
and that thing needs PSres.upr file in the directory with fonts. You
can get that one with `makepsres .' in the font directory. I also did
`cp fonts.dir fonts.scale', just to be sure it'll work. I don't have
24 bit video card on Solaris 2.6 hosts, so I can't try there.

But the text doesn't look as good as it should. If you write the classic
"Lorem ipsum dolor" DPS should do sub-pixel (or however it's called)
positioning, and the two `o' characters in `dolor' won't look exactly
the same. DPS uses kerning information and the text should look
somewhat better. However, in AbiWord all characters look exactly the
same. It could be because Abi writes them to the screen one by one, and
DPS can do its tricks only with the full string. Or maybe not; I don't
know enough about it. I tried cut & paste, but there's no difference.

I used gcc 2.8.1. Sun just released their all-new, all-improved C++
compiler, but I don't have it yet. My boss said it'll take at least
6 months until I can lay my dirty little hands on the licenced version
(all praise management!) There is a demo version, but downloading is
currently incredibly slow and Sun, in their infinite visdom, made the
thing unavailable for download with uninteractive programs that can
restart the broken connections. So I'll try compiling with that beast
one of these days.

Is there anything else I can do on Solaris? I can make a binary if there
is interest, as soon as I get GTK 1.2.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.