Re: hash tables and other irix issues.

Ryan Dooley (ryan@coe.missouri.edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:05:33 -0500

Erk... I should apologize, I ment to have more done on the IRIX port by
now, but sadly real-life caught up with me for the past week and a half.

|I am pressing on with building on Irix. I know someone has done this
|before with significantly less effort. I wouldn't mind if someone
|would drop a little science here.

Ok...

|Anyway, the hash table files for the dictionaries are apparently in
|little endian byte order:
|
|Illegal format hash table /usr/local/AbiSuite/dictionary/american.hash - expected magic 0x9602, got 0x296

Yup... also the american.hash file from the freeware ispell tardist won't
subsititute in easily.

|Also, I had to turn off building a static version of AbiWord because
|the C run-time library is not available in non-shared form.

I've only gotten it to build static under 6.5.4f, but the dynamic
libraries should be there.

Under IRIX 6.2 installed from eoe.sw.irix_lib
Under IRIX 6.3 installed from eoe.sw.irix_lib
Under IRIX 6.4 installed from eoe.sw.irix_lib (or eoe.sw64.lib)
Under IRIX 6.5.x installed from eoe.sw.irix_lib

A few things you will need to do though ...

Install libz and libpng from freeware.sgi.com ... they are newer than is
what is shipped on CD... you could also just install them from Abi's cvs
tree.

With GCC, you will probably have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be the
LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH when linking ... otherwise you will have n32/o32
conflicts... I'm not sure if this is a factor under anything other than
6.5, but since I am using the freeware gcc tardist from sgi, I can only
assume so.

GCC produces N32 binaries (a good thing), but it doesn't do linking right.
It should read the LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH environment var, but it doesn't. I
guess this is what happens when you have three binary types on the same
system (*ahem* :-)

Other than that, have GTK 1.2.x compiled and in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
atleast have gtk-config in your path).

Oh yeah, you will have to change two -I vars. They are written in as
-I/usr/X11R6/include and all you have to do is prepend to those lines
-I/usr/freeware/include (assuming of course you used the freeware tardist
for libpng and libz).

Past that, then you run into the dictionary issue. We know that it's a
MSB/LSB issue, and gcc/egcs might also be doing some sort of byte swapping
under IRIX as well, but I've not gotten too much farther in it.

cheers,
--ryan

Ryan Dooley ryan@coe.missouri.edu
Systems / Network Administrator (573) 884-5154
Center for Tech. Innovations in Education [573] 884=5158
College of Education http://www.coe.missouri.edu/~ryan
University of Missouri - Columbia 028237278EAA0A2F EF1C8C62D228334C