RE: What I need to be able to switch to Abi-word.

Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:29:52 +0100 (IST)

On 25-Jun-99 Thomas Fletcher wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>

>> On 25-Jun-99 ArcadePreserv Center wrote:
>> >
>> >For the future we alse need Revision control, and at least jpeg/WMF image
>> >import facility.
>>

>I must say that I always find this most amusing. Revision
>control of a document (it seems to me) belongs in a
>program that does revision control (rcs, cvs etc) but
>not in the word processor. Just my opinion of course,
>but if we had some sort of "add-on" capability it would
>be fairly straightforward to add a revision control
>module.

msword has a revision mechanism, so for full word importation support
abiword should be able to support some sort of similiar mechanism.
As far as i can see from the ms spec all you need is support for..
1) text appended from original version
2) text deleted from oringinal version
3) text and paragraph properties modified from original
4) and the author who did 1,2 or 3

C.

>Thomas

>Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
>thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
>(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-86-8790257
Bridges -build -burn