RE: design -- multiple languages in the same document

Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:21:42 -0000 (GMT)

On 09-Nov-99 Paul Rohr wrote:
>Does the Word file format always indicate the content language, or only when
>the charset varies? (I thought I remembered a finer-grained UI for
>indicating specific languages within a charset, but it's been a while.) In
>any event, the charset alone sounds like a good cue, at least to get started
>with.

It is my current understanding that the CHP (character property) will always
indicate what the language is. I believe that this will often be 0x400 in
which case the default language of the document can be retrieved from the
FIB. For the word importer the lid passed to the character handler will
always be the correct one, though it is possible that currently I might
be passing the wrong one occassionally but if this is true then it is a
bug that will be found and fixed. But as far as I know the lid specifies
the language, e.g. U.S. English, U.K. English and Australian English all
exist, even though the charset is obviously the same.

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-86-8790257
Give way to your worst impulse