RE: design -- multiple languages in the same document

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:09:22 -0800

At 09:21 AM 11/10/99 -0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>It is my current understanding that the CHP (character property) will always
>indicate what the language is. I believe that this will often be 0x400 in
>which case the default language of the document can be retrieved from the
>FIB.

Perfect. We'll want a document-level default for LANG which can optionally
get overridden for runs of characters.

>For the word importer the lid passed to the character handler will
>always be the correct one, though it is possible that currently I might
>be passing the wrong one occassionally but if this is true then it is a
>bug that will be found and fixed. But as far as I know the lid specifies
>the language, e.g. U.S. English, U.K. English and Australian English all
>exist, even though the charset is obviously the same.

Cool. I'm glad to hear that they go all the way down to the locale. That's
exactly what we'd want.

Paul