Re: some graphic support, extra subdir, extra files, loads of Ma

Havoc Pennington (hp@redhat.com)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:48:38 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Caolan McNamara wrote:

> Where does GdkMagick (http://home.earthlink.net/~lightmanaj/GdkMagick/)
> fit into the whole picture. I was under the incorrect assumption that it

We aren't using GdkMagick as any kind of "official" component, it is
really major overkill for 99% of applications. Also, we already have
GdkRGB and libart, and GdkMagick/Imlib2 each have a tendency to duplicate
the functionality of those modules. gdk-pixbuf is just a simple few
thousand lines of code that does the important stuff.

For AbiWord it may make sense to do something similar, it's kind of not
worth fooling with another library for 3K lines of trivial code.
(Havoc desperately tries to stay on topic ;-)

If the BeOS and GNOME platforms both have this functionality natively you
could just have some kind of load_image_to_rgba_data() function that
reverted to native methods on platforms that have them to save some code.

Havoc