Re: Modeless Spell.

Subject: Re: Modeless Spell.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 06:39:52 CDT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, sam th wrote:

> > 2. Update all the spell dialog info upon changing frames. This is hard
> > because it means keeping track of all pointers used to scan the document.
> >
> > 3. Allow multiple spell dialogs each attached to its own frame. Upon
> > changing the frame the dialog is "greyed" out. If you want to spell check
> > a different frame leaving your current dialog up and running you must
> > start up a new spell dialog.
> >

> IMNSHO, 3 is *much* better than 2. First, switching all that stuff is
> likely to be hard, which means it is less likely to Just Work. Second, I
> can imagine wanting to spell check 2 docs at once, and wanting different
> dialogs. Third, I think switching would violate user
> expectation. (Certainly it would violate mine). Finally, I can imagine
> wanting to leave spell checking running in one place, and not spell check
> the other doc.
>
> I think this brings up an important point. sometimes having your dialog
> switch with the frame is good (word count). But this is not always
> true. I think we need a third category, modeless-but-document-specific,
> that would apply to things like spell.

Yes. Great minds think alike :-). A colour dialog with document specific
colour choices for the user-defined colours would be another. I started
thinking about how to do this. It is not so hard in object-oriented C++.
We can clone the spell dialog for every frame and have a subclass of
modeless dialogs that are frame specific. I'll think more about how to do
this but I'm sure it would not be too hard.

This stuff is fun :-)

> > Maybe I should just start bulleted lists I don't need fields for them.
> >
> > Do the bullets get smaller or larger upon nesting?
> >
> Usually, they change styles, in my experience. Differently sized bullets
> would look weird.

Yes Latex does that. I remmebr a discussion where Paul (?) I think raised
the issue of bullets being bullets on every platform.

I'll write another email about this because it doesn't work now and it
will be important for bulleted lists.

Cheers

Martin