Re: PATCH: unix paragraph dialog fixes

Subject: Re: PATCH: unix paragraph dialog fixes
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:45:14 CDT

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> I think that fixing stupid bugs should have top priority. Unfortunately,
> there are a lot of them.
> The one I can point right now:
>
> 1) Opening any modal window and pressing windowmanager's "close window" button
> violates some assertion.
> 2) Font dialog doesn't support all "strike" variants - there are 3
> (over,under,though) strike modes, but dialog allows only 2 of them.
> Also, in preview of that dialog, none of "strike" effects is actually
> displayed.
> 3) It's impossible to specify name of dictionary from GUI.
> 4) Zoom ratio combobox doesn't allow editing (so you can't specify 39% there -
> only via view->zoom dialog).
> 5) Wishitem - ability to specify color of "sheet" (instead of white).
>
> Seems these bugs don't require knowledege of AW's internals to fix them.

Hey don't be too hard on the developers ... sometimes you
just run out of steam (or time). The fact that there is
a continuous influx of people interested in doing the
polishing is great ... have at it. I'll tell you my
thoughts below:

1) -- Remove the close window, or attach the callback to the
      close button. Most of the dialog handlers have different
      callbacks for the delete window. In Photon non of the
      dialogs have window decorations for this one reason,
      I didn't want to deal with extra work.

2) -- The font dialog was custom rolled for Unix and it was
      before we had this functionality. On other platforms
      the stock dialog is used, and it is even worse. We
      should probably roll a standard dialog which supports
      all the features and can be used on all platforms.

3) -- This feature is planned, but not yet implemented

4) -- This is the whole reason for the zoom dialog in the
          first place. If you want to fix it fine, but remember
          that we want to attempt to keep cross platform parity
          as much as possible (ie fix it for all platforms).

5) -- There is no gear available to do this, and it might
      cause interesting problems with things like squiggles
      and highlighting.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf