Re: PATCH: unix paragraph dialog fixes

Subject: Re: PATCH: unix paragraph dialog fixes
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:48:10 CDT

On 6 Oct 2000, Anders Melchiorsen wrote:

> Thomas Fletcher <thomasf@qnx.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6 Oct 2000, Anders Melchiorsen wrote:
> >
> > > Yes. It would also be nice to make the dialogs more simillar. Right
> > > now some dialogs have action buttons (ok, cancel, ...) at the bottom,
> > > others at the right hand side. Seperators, space, and default buttons
> > > are also used rather randomly.
> >
> > I think that consistancy should be key. As a platform maintainer,
> > I'd be willing to go through all of the qnx platform dialogs and
> > change them to some sort of default look/behaviour if that is what
> > we decide. It is certainly a fair bit of work however.
>
> Do you mean consistency among the dialogs of one platform or among all
> platforms (like Mozilla does it) ?
>
> Since different platforms have different UI guidelines, I believe Abi
> should look different on each platform. For platforms without
> guidelines, we will have to make some. The current GTK+ portion (which
> is all I use) is looking rather ugly and not professional in any way.

I'm suggesting that all of our dialogs for one platform should
behave in a consistent manner (ie all of the buttons on the
bottom, or all of the buttons on the left etc). All of the
dialogs between platforms should have the same layout, but
not the same graphical design (ie if I use AbiWord on Unix
and then on Windows I will know that the dialog layouts are
the same, even if they look different).

> Of couse, the clean up by Vlad and yours truly has made the single
> GTK+ dialog at least passable, but the whole is still very
> inconsistent. Are other platforms just as inconsistent?

All platforms follow the same layout yes.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf