Re: PATCH: unix paragraph dialog fixes

Subject: Re: PATCH: unix paragraph dialog fixes
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:47:40 CDT

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Thomas Fletcher wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > I think that fixing stupid bugs should have top priority. Unfortunately,
> > there are a lot of them.
> > The one I can point right now:
> >
> > 1) Opening any modal window and pressing windowmanager's "close window" button
> > violates some assertion.
> > 2) Font dialog doesn't support all "strike" variants - there are 3
> > (over,under,though) strike modes, but dialog allows only 2 of them.
> > Also, in preview of that dialog, none of "strike" effects is actually
> > displayed.
> > 3) It's impossible to specify name of dictionary from GUI.
> > 4) Zoom ratio combobox doesn't allow editing (so you can't specify 39% there -
> > only via view->zoom dialog).
> > 5) Wishitem - ability to specify color of "sheet" (instead of white).
> >
> > Seems these bugs don't require knowledege of AW's internals to fix them.
> >

> Hey don't be too hard on the developers ... sometimes you
> just run out of steam (or time). The fact that there is
> a continuous influx of people interested in doing the
> polishing is great ... have at it. I'll tell you my
> thoughts below:
>
> 1) -- Remove the close window, or attach the callback to the
> close button. Most of the dialog handlers have different
> callbacks for the delete window. In Photon non of the
> dialogs have window decorations for this one reason,
> I didn't want to deal with extra work.

    For now, it could be left crashing.. (Not everbody will discover that AW
   crashed rather than just closed). But in the future, this should be fixed,
   and the fix is VERY easy IMO. I just wanted to point out easy TODO things
   to Anders (who seem to is familiar with gtk).

> 2) -- The font dialog was custom rolled for Unix and it was
> before we had this functionality. On other platforms
> the stock dialog is used, and it is even worse. We
> should probably roll a standard dialog which supports
> all the features and can be used on all platforms.

   OK. But did unix font dialog designer considered GtkFontSelection? It seems
   it can be used for this (it allows filtering by foundries, so it's possible
   to limit all displayed fonts to only AbiSource's ones).

> 3) -- This feature is planned, but not yet implemented

   I have the same impression :)

> 4) -- This is the whole reason for the zoom dialog in the
> first place. If you want to fix it fine, but remember
> that we want to attempt to keep cross platform parity
> as much as possible (ie fix it for all platforms).

  Is this cross-platform parity a policy of AW? I hope it's not so strict.

> 5) -- There is no gear available to do this, and it might
> cause interesting problems with things like squiggles
> and highlighting.

  I didn't look at the code, but I have an impression that the patch for this
 (for a single platform) won't be bigger than 5K. Seems gc->background should
  be set to right color (rather than white). But I may be wrong.

> Thomas
> Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
> thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
> (613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf

 Best regards,
  -Vlad