RE : commit: Layout horizontally with screen units.

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@free.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 13:26:49 EST

    Patrick wrote:
    > On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:01:15AM +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > > Layout horizontally with screen units. This fixes Justification
    > > issues.
    > >
    > > We definately need to use screen units to layout text
    > horizontally. I
    > > see
    > > now why we really need Tomas's single units system. Since
    > the width of a
    > > text string varies with font size in a way that is not directly
    > > proportional to size size.
    >
    > I don't think this is the correct solution, because it makes
    > printing have different linebreaks than screen. We need to
    > do the layout with layout units on layout fonts.

    IMO, we need to remove the distinction between the layout and the screen
    fonts.

    Then, instead of throwing the whole run to your favourite OS drawing
    routine, we have to place on screen each character of the run as if its
    width was linearly scalable from its high resolution width.

    That way, you will get the characters in the same position on screen and
    on the printer.

    You will see that some characters will overwrite a little bit of the
    next character. That's ok. Very few characters do that ('m' and 'w',
    specially), and well, MS Word also has this little nuance :)

    If you try to split runs when the divergence will be too much, you will
    finish with one run for each 2 or 3 characters (which will kill our
    perf.), or you will finish with runs that overwrite themselves
    (unacceptably) too much.

    Cheers,