Re: RE : commit: Layout horizontally with screen units.

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 20:20:09 EST

     --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <e98cuenc@free.fr> wrote: >
    Patrick wrote:
    > > On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:01:15AM +1100, Martin
    > Sevior wrote:
    > > > Layout horizontally with screen units. This
    > > > fixes Justification issues.
    > > >
    > > > We definately need to use screen units to layout
    > > > text horizontally. I see now why we really need
    > > > Tomas's single units system. Since the width of
    > > > a text string varies with font size in a way
    that
    > > > is not directly proportional to size size.
    > >
    > > I don't think this is the correct solution,
    > > because it makes printing have different
    > > linebreaks than screen. We need to do the layout
    > > with layout units on layout fonts.
    >
    > IMO, we need to remove the distinction between the
    > layout and the screen fonts.
    >
    > Then, instead of throwing the whole run to your
    > favourite OS drawing routine, we have to place on
    > screen each character of the run as if its width was
    > linearly scalable from its high resolution width.
    >
    > That way, you will get the characters in the same
    > position on screen and on the printer.
    >
    > You will see that some characters will overwrite a
    > little bit of the next character. That's ok. Very
    > few characters do that ('m' and 'w', specially), and
    > well, MS Word also has this little nuance :)
    >
    > If you try to split runs when the divergence will be
    > too much, you will finish with one run for each 2 or
    > 3 characters (which will kill our perf.), or you
    > will finish with runs that overwrite themselves
    > (unacceptably) too much.

    I've also been thinking about this for a while and I
    don't think it's practical to do it this way for
    typical Views - especially when you think about
    complex languages, justification, hyphenation, and
    other stuff which will interact with each-other.
    I do think we should do a "Print Preview" View this
    way though if we're not already.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com