Re: Fonts

Drazen Kacar (dave@srce.hr)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:30:33 +0200

Shaw Terwilliger wrote:

> I also have a bug assigned to me about diacritic characters and
> metrics, where Adobe's ParseAFM code just returns 0 for character
> widths for anything with a charcode above 127 for our fonts. What little
> information the Adobe Type 1 specification documents tell me is
> along the lines of "if the width is specified to be 0, then the character
> is not in the font." Does Maxwell deal with high-side Latin 1
> character metrics gracefully? Is it just a matter of getting better
> fonts? :)

I've never looked into any specifications dealing with PostScript or
Type 1 fonts, but I just happen to have a book called _PostScript Language
Reference Model_ on my desk. I can try to find some answers in it,
but you'll have to be very specific, because my knowledge about the
subject really is zero.

Anyway, there's one little note which says:

If you create a new encoding for a Type 1 font, Adobe suggests that
you place the accents in control character positions, which are
typically unused. The built in ISOLatin1Encoding uses this
technique.

I suppose you have to combine two characters to actually get one of
the accented characters, so the width you seek is the width of
the corresponding character without the accent.

Hope this helps.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.