Re: Fonts

Tom Newton (tomn@gtl.com)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:08:34 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Shaw Terwilliger wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 10:16:46AM +0100, Tom Newton wrote:
> >
> > The code exists in Maxwell and would be relatively easy to extract. Maybe
> > you consider it to be unecessary bloat, though?
>
> Actually, I consider that a good feature to have, but I never really
> got around to looking at how to decode them from the font files.
> I also have a bug assigned to me about diacritic characters and
> metrics, where Adobe's ParseAFM code just returns 0 for character
> widths for anything with a charcode above 127 for our fonts. What little
> information the Adobe Type 1 specification documents tell me is
> along the lines of "if the width is specified to be 0, then the character
> is not in the font." Does Maxwell deal with high-side Latin 1
> character metrics gracefully? Is it just a matter of getting better
> fonts? :)

Maxwell only handles 8 bit characters, but certainly widths of Latin1
characters between charcode 127 and 255 seem to be returned correctly.
Most of the standard Type 1 fonts that come with Linux have a gap somewhere
between charcode 127 to 159ish where none of the characters are printable
and have width 0 defined.

So yes, I think it may be just a matter of getting better fonts..

cheers
Tom